Key focus areas
The IMPERIAL group is extremely diverse, both geographically and in terms of the spread of businesses in the group’s portfolio.
A rigorous approach to selecting the content for this website and the issues and initiatives to be covered was therefore required. To ensure relevance, we focus around six key themes which represent the most significant issues in sustainable development across the range of our businesses, and which have a direct impact on our financial and operating performance.
These issues were identified through divisional workshops and discussions with senior executives. The areas covered also reflect stakeholder views as voiced by the company’s various stakeholders during the year, including through client surveys undertaken in almost every part of the business.
OUR SIX SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT FOCUS AREASPEOPLE
- Talent management and transformation.
- Potential risks to employees , clients, third parties and goods
- Initiatives to reduce fuel usage and cost
- Engagement on proposed carbon tax legislation in South Africa
- Water and energy management
- Waste management
- Environmental compliance
- Prevention and containment of spillages
- Developmental, and health benefits arising from our business
- Community development and social programmes
As part of the board approval process, members of the relevant board committees were specifically requested to consider the completeness of the report and to comment on whether the issues covered were a good reflection of the most material sustainability concerns arising from the group’s operations.